Saturday, May 17, 2014

2014-2015 Curriculum

So last week we decided on our curriculum. After much research, we have decided to go with SonLight's P4/5 program.

I realize that at this age, it is fairly easy to make your own curriculum and supplement with inexpensive workbooks, but I really did want a boxed curriculum.

Technically, their "Core A" program is for Kindergarten, but after review the sample Instructor Guides, I knew that Christopher just wasn't ready for it. So we decided to step down a level to the P4/5 program.

I was concerned at first because it is a "Pre-K" curriculum. I've been browsing the Sonlight forums the last couple of days and I found out that most home-school parents using Sonlight actually choose the program I selected for their Kinder curriculum.

Reasons why I chose Sonlight:




  • I LOVE that their program is literature based - It comes with a TON of books. I love reading and I do hope to be able to pass that love on to my children.
  • They are a Christian company. My family is Christian but we are not overly religious. I like that there is a bible component to their curriculum.
  • They give you up to a year to use at least 18 weeks worth of curriculum and still get a full refund if the program doesn't work for any reason. I read many stories about families wasting money on curriculum that just didn't work for them, and Sonlight's guarantee made me feel more at ease about it.
  • It's a boxed curriculum - everything I need for the year in one box!
  • No need to spend hours planning - They included a complete lesson plan I can follow. This is the main reason why I chose not to just make my own curriculum.
  • I love that they even have a list on their website of 27 reasons why NOT to buy Sonlight!
We are excited and can not wait for our box to arrive next week!



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment